July 18, 2012
For Immediate Release
Governor Walker Requests Additional Disaster Assessments for Northern Wisconsin
Madison—Today Governor Scott Walker asked the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) to view flood damage and meet with local and state officials in Douglas County. The information gathered could be used to request the SBA provide federal low-interest locals to individuals and employers that suffered damage during last month's flooding.
"I want to make sure we are able to provide disaster assistance to help flood victims recover from this devastating flood," said Governor Walker. "We need to do this quickly to help the businesses get back to work and homeowners get back to their lives."
Winds and flooding caused damage in northwestern Wisconsin on June 19th and 20th. Most of the flood damage to homes and businesses occurred in Douglas County. The SBA assessment of damaged homes and businesses will begin next week. Under an SBA declaration, SBA offers home and personal property loans, business physical disaster loans, and economic injury disaster loans.
Meanwhile, disaster assessment teams with the Federal Emergency Management Agency are assessing damages to roads, bridges and other public infrastructure as a result of the June floods. Officials are assessing flood damage in Ashland, Bayfield, Douglas Counties and the tribal group, Red Cliff Bank of Lake Superior Chippewa.
Other disaster assistance is available through the Wisconsin Disaster Fund, which will be made available to assist local governments recoup the costs incurred in responding to and recovering from the flooding. The state contributes 70 percent of eligible costs with the local applicant contributing the remaining 30 percent. Eligible costs include road repairs, debris clearance and emergency protective measures.